Plane Passengers Quarantined After Couple Die From Bubonic Plague
A Russian couple has died after contracting the bubonic plague, causing the plane they were travelling on to be quarantined.
The 38-year-old man - known as Citizen T - and a 37-year-old woman, reportedly fell ill after eating contaminated marmot in Mongolia.
According to The Siberian Times, the man died on 27 April, while the woman passed away three days later.
Novosibirsk resident Elena told NGS: "On the night from 30 April to 1 May the exit from the city of Ulgii was closed because someone died in hospital that night.
"This plague is spread by local animals - marmots."
Since the news broke, the plane's passengers have been put under an 'indefinite quarantine' period to prevent the disease from spreading.
Dramatic photos from the inside of the plane show emergency staff in protective clothing carrying out urgent checks on the remaining passengers arriving in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar on a flight from Bayan, Uglii and Khovd.
A team from the National Centre for Communicable Diseases and Specialised Border Inspection carried out the onboard checks.
More Like This
All passengers from Ulgii were taken to a nearby hospital, while the rest were examined separately in a sports centre.
According to local reports, 158 people who came directly or indirectly into contact with the deceased couple are now 'under supervision'.
Dr N.Tsogbadrakh, director of National Centre for Zoonotic Dermatology and Medicine, said: "Despite the fact that eating marmots is banned, Citizen T hunted marmot.
"He ate the meat and gave it to his wife, and they died because the plague affected his stomach.
"Four children are orphaned."
This is not the first reported outbreak of the disease in modern times. Last year a young boy in Idaho, the United States, was diagnosed with the medieval disease.
According to the MailOnline, this was the first human case in the American state since the early 1990s.
The disease is understood to infect around seven Americans a year and is generally treatable with antibiotic medication.
The Black Death of the Middle Ages has been estimated to have killed between 155-200 million people in Europe in the 14th century, including one in every three Europeans.
It is a bacterial disease that is caused by fleas which live on wild rodents. According to the World Heath Organisation, if the symptoms aren't treated within the first 24 hours it can result in death.
Featured Image Credit: Siberian Times