Anthony Joshua's last-second move that could have saved his life in crash that killed two friends

Home> News> Sport

Anthony Joshua's last-second move that could have saved his life in crash that killed two friends

The driver's lawyer, Olalekan Abiodun, made the claim

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A last-minute decision might be the reason Anthony Joshua survived the horror car crash in Nigeria which killed two of his friends.

The British boxer was in the backseat of a Lexus which crashed into a stationary van on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway in Nigeria on Monday (29 December).

Two men died during the incident, who were confirmed to be Sina Ghami, Joshua's sport and exercise rehabilitation coach, and Latif 'Latz' Ayodele, his personal trainer.

A statement following the crash described them as 'close friends and team members' of the former heavyweight champion.

The driver of the Lexus, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode, has now been charged with causing death by dangerous driving and appeared at the Sagamu Magistrate Court on Friday. It's understood that he pleaded not guilty.

However, it's been reported that Joshua may have saved his own life with a decision made before setting off.

Joshua lost friends Sina and Latif in the crash (Instagram/sina_evolve)
Joshua lost friends Sina and Latif in the crash (Instagram/sina_evolve)

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Kayode's lawyer, Olalekan Abiodun, claimed: "My client has pleaded not guilty and what happened was an accident, I haven’t had a full chance to speak with him yet but I know he is saying the brakes did not work."

He then revealed: "I also understand that the journey started in Lagos and that initially Anthony had got into the front seat but the driver asked him to swap seats.

"He did this because Anthony is a big fellow and he couldn’t see the wing mirror properly so he asked him to move and he sat behind the driver. From what I understand Latif was in front and then changed seats with Anthony."

Kayode has also been charged with reckless and negligent driving, driving without due care, and driving without a valid driver's licence.

Following his appearance in court, local authorities released an update on the case.

"The Ogun State Police Command wishes to inform the general public that the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the Anthony Joshua accident case, Adeniyi Mobolaji Kayode (male), aged 46, was charged to the Sagamu Magistrate Court today, January 2, 2026 and the case has been adjourned to January 20, 2026," it read.

Joshua only suffered minor injuries despite a worrying video circulating after the crash (X)
Joshua only suffered minor injuries despite a worrying video circulating after the crash (X)

Viral video footage showed Joshua seated in the back of the car, which was wrecked, as the boxer said he could 'feel pain all over'.

Joshua only suffered minor injuries and was released from hospital on New Year's Eve.

The Lagos state commissioner for information and strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, confirmed that Joshua had been discharged and attended the funeral home to 'pay his respects' to his late friends.

"Anthony Joshua was discharged from hospital late this afternoon though heavy hearted and full of emotions over the loss of his two close friends he was deemed clinical fit to recuperate from home," Omotoso said.

"Anthony and his mother were at the funeral home in Lagos this afternoon to pay their final respects to his two departed friends as they were being prepared for repatriation scheduled for later this evening."

Featured Image Credit: X

Topics: Anthony Joshua, Boxing, Sport, Celebrity, World News