Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
2 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

6 hours ago
Advert

Bristol Woman Horrified As She's Bitten On Head By 'Dracula Spider'

Bristol Woman Horrified As She's Bitten On Head By 'Dracula Spider'

A woman is urging people to be on guard after she was attacked by the venomous 'Dracula' spider.

The 61-year-old from Bristol claims she was bitten on the forehead by the tropical tube spider about two weeks ago.

Advert

Known for its terrifying green fangs, the Segestria florentina weaves cylindrical tubes of cobwebs and its bite is often compared to a bee sting.

"I moved into a new flat on 21 June. It's in a block of flats with seven floors, and three of those floors have nests in the external brickwork," the unnamed woman told Bristol Live.

The terrifying 'Dracula' spider. Credit: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez
The terrifying 'Dracula' spider. Credit: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez

"I had never seen so many nests. There must be 200. They leave a nasty bite. It swells, goes very red and very hard. When I was bitten years ago, the mark resembled big zits.

"It was very itchy and sore, and it went after about a week. I was bitten by one on my belly about three years ago, in Bedminster. When I saw the webs at my new flat I thought, 'This can't be. Not again.'

Advert

"I have been unfortunate because I was bitten again about two weeks ago, this time on my forehead. The red bumps went after a few days."

And after spotting the remains of a tube web spider on her doorstep earlier this week, she said: "I'm looking into pest control options."

Probably a wise move.

The spiders are often found in British port cities. Credit: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez
The spiders are often found in British port cities. Credit: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez

According to reports, tube web spiders are often found in British towns and cities with a strong maritime history, such as Southampton, Plymouth and Bristol.

It's believed the creepy crawlies would hitch a ride on ships heading for Britain in the 17th century.

Fortunately for this OAP, their venom doesn't have a long-lasting effect and wears off after a while.

Earlier this year, a young lad was left with a hole in his leg after suffering a nasty spider bite.

Nine-year-old Bobby Cleary, from Essex, was initially told by his GP that it was most likely caused by a gnat, but within a week he was left with an inch-deep hole in his leg from the poisonous spider bite.

Mum Emma Barnett, 34, said her son was bitten on Monday and that by Thursday it had become itchy and swollen, so she treated it with some Savlon and 'didn't think much more of it'.

Featured Image Credit: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez

Topics: uk news, Spiders, Interesting, Bristol, Animals

Dominic Smithers

Dominic graduated from the University of Leeds with a degree in French and History. Like you, Dom has often questioned how much use a second language has been. Well, after stints working at the Manchester Evening News, the Accrington Observer and the Macclesfield Express, along with never setting foot in France, he realised the answer is surprisingly little. But I guess, c'est la vie. Contact us at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Woman Forgets Eight-Inch Sex Toy In Glovebox When Trading Car In

Woman Forgets Eight-Inch Sex Toy In Glovebox When Trading Car In

4 months ago