Terrifying Moment Woman Is Hit By Lightning As She Films A Storm On Her Phone
We all know spending too much time on your phone is bad for you, but nobody could have anticipated this happening. A woman was trying to film a thunderstorm when a bolt of lightning struck her phone. Check it out:
The thing is, she wasn't even doing anything we've all been warned not to do during storms, like standing under a tree, lamp post or pylon. Nope, she was inside her house.
In fact, Tracey Kutluol was filming the storm from her living room window at about 10pm on Thursday night,when the lightning bolt zapped her iPhone.
Admittedly, she did open her window to get a better vantage point, and the 43-year-old mother of two did joke that she was going to get electrocuted when she did so, but she didn't think there was any truth in that statement.
Tracey, who hails from Galashiels, Scottish Borders, was with her two children - 10-year-old Max and 14-year-old Mia - when she was filming the storm and said her life flashed before her eyes.
Thankfully, a rubber phone cover that had been delivered just hours before saved her life. Tracey says an electric shock ran up her left arm, leaving her with extreme pins and needles, but it could have been much, much worse.
"I was trying to film how dark it was and hoping for a little lightning that I could capture but I did not anticipate that it would hit me," she said.
"The lightning hit the pop socket on my phone. And if I am being honest, that saved my life otherwise my phone would have probably exploded.
"I was not hurt and all the kids and my friend who were with me were all fine. My kitchen light bulb managed to blow up though.
"You have no idea how powerful lightning is, I could still feel pins and needles from my left hand starting from my pinky all the way up to my elbow.
"When it hit, it was like a big blue light. That was when I realised that my life flashed before me. I just threw my phone and we all started to panic and scream."
After the incident, everybody in the house ran into the bedroom on the ground floor of their townhouse, which she thought would be the safest room.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"My son tried to make sure the cat wouldn't jump out of the window," she said. "My daughter thought the place was going to go on fire.
"As a mother, my job was to try and comfort my kids and keep them calm. We pulled all the plugs off the sockets and run to my room.
"Then on the third floor, it's my son's room, bathroom, and our living room. My room is on the lower ground so I felt we would be much safer there.
"We stayed there until 11.30pm."
After the ordeal, Tracey sent a message to the eBay seller she'd purchased the phone case from, telling them it had saved her life. Hopefully they got a five-star rating, too.
"I don't know his name but I messaged him today telling him I was so thankful for that case as it actually saved my life," she said.
"At first, my children thought my case looked funny but I bet they are happy with it now. I think I will probably buy the pink version of that phone cover from him."
Tracey is now trying to raise awareness of hat could happen to anyone trying to film lightning, and her video has already had more than 30,000 views.
"Tonight we are due to have more thunder," he said. "I'm not going to lie but I am so nervous for when it comes.
"Our plans tonight is as soon as we hear lightning we will turn off all electrical items and go to my room.
"I just want to raise awareness for anyone who plans on doing what I did - don't do it, don't be a numpty like me.
"I've had calls from my family in Germany and when my husband came into the house last night he said what I did was irresponsible.
"I did have a cry about it all, so please be careful out there as it can happen to anyone."
Featured Image Credit: SWNS
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read