Woman Finds Sink Plug Inside Takeaway Onion Bhaji
A woman was left 'gobsmacked' after tucking into her Indian takeaway only to find an onion bhaji containing a sink plug.
The 65-year-old woman says her grandson made the discovery of the batter-covered sink plug after the family ordered a meal from Garam Masala in Bedminster, Bristol.
The restaurant has since said the employee responsible for the error has been fired.
Speaking to the Bristol Post, the woman, who didn't want to be named, said: "We've used Garam Masala many times before and never had any reason to be unhappy. We've never had any bad food from there."
But it seemed like this time was the exception.
The customer added: "There were potato peelings in the rice which made me wonder what on earth was going on.
"My grandson was Starvin' Marvin as usual, and trying to have his food before anyone else. He was saying, 'I can't cut the onion bhaji.'
"I was saying, 'It's fine, it's just dried in the oven.' Then I thought - hang on, there's something black in there.
"When I saw that it was a plug, I was absolutely gobsmacked. I just couldn't believe it. It made me wonder if someone was not very happy in the kitchen that night."
She phoned the restaurant to complain, but was initially told it 'wasn't possible' for it the plug have found its way into the bhaji.
More Like ThisMore Like This
"I was very disappointed and surprised," she said. "I asked him to have a think about what he could do, and get back to me.
"He didn't call me back for over an hour. I called him again and he said, 'Sorry, I've been busy. If you want a refund you have to go through JustEat.'"
Which is what the woman did and she received a full refund on Tuesday (16 February); the woman also reported the restaurant to the environmental health team at Bristol City Council.
The manager of Garam Masala said they had a visit from environmental health who were satisfied with the restaurant's protocols. He also said the employee in question had been 'fired'.
He told the Bristol Post: "We follow the procedure and if there is human error, there are things that cannot be controlled sometimes.
"It shouldn't happen but we are really, really sorry for that. We have already taken the precautions and done all the things that need to be done.
"Environmental health came in and said they are happy with us. Food has never been made in the sink. We make it in a bowl.
"Sometimes we make 50, 60, 100 portions at once. It's a big amount of onions to mix with ground flour, and when we're mixing it needs water. Somehow, the plug has dropped in."
LADbible has contacted Bristol City Council for a comment.
Featured Image Credit: BPM Media
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read