• iconNews
  • videos
  • entertainment
  • Home
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • Australia
    • Ireland
    • World News
    • Weird News
    • Viral News
    • Sport
    • Technology
    • Science
    • True Crime
    • Travel
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • TV & Film
    • Netflix
    • Music
    • Gaming
    • TikTok
  • LAD Originals
    • Say Maaate to a Mate
    • Daily Ladness
    • Lad Files
    • UOKM8?
    • FreeToBe
    • Extinct
    • Citizen Reef
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube

LAD Entertainment

YouTube

LAD Stories

Submit Your Content
UFC Official Rips Chinese Flag Off Fighter's Back As He Celebrates Win

Home> Sport

Updated 09:49 20 Jul 2022 GMT+1Published 09:48 20 Jul 2022 GMT+1

UFC Official Rips Chinese Flag Off Fighter's Back As He Celebrates Win

Li Jingliang was celebrating his win over Muslim Salikhov when the flag was taken from him

Emily Brown

Emily Brown

Footage shared online shows the moment Chinese MMA fighter Li Jingliang had his country's flag ripped away from him by a UFC employee after the company enforced a flag ban in the Octagon.

The incident took place on Saturday (16 July), as Jingliang was celebrating his win over his Russian competitor Muslim Salikhov at UFC Long Island, where he had secured a knockout on the televised main card.

In clips captured by members of the audience, Jingliang can be seen wearing the red China flag proudly across his back as he posed for photos after the fight. However, he didn't get to celebrate with it for long as a UFC official stormed into the ring and pulled the flag from the fighter's shoulders.

Advert

Jingliang appeared to be trying to get the flag back as he followed the official to the cage door, but it was quickly handed to someone on the floor while the fighter was blocked from leaving the Octagon.

The official's actions come after UFC president Dana White confirmed a ban on flags in May, when he was asked whether fighters had been restricted from carrying flags and responded: "Yeah. You guys know why. Let’s not even play that f**king game."

Li Jingliang beat Muslim Salikhov with a knockout.
Alamy

The ban covers fighters' walkouts to the cage, as well as their time in the Octagon and post-fight portraits, though Jingliang did manage to pose for a few pictures with the flag before it was taken away.

Social media users and UFC fans had mixed responses to the removal of the flag, with some people supporting its removal while others disagreed with the ban.

Advert

One person wrote: "It’s a dumb policy when they are putting the fighter’s flag next to their names during fight walkouts and introductions."

Prior to facing Salikhov, Jingliang stressed a victory would mean a lot for UFC fans in China as the Russian fighter has been a 'big name' in the country and has beaten a number of 'legendary' Chinese fighters.

Li Jingliang had his flag taken from him in the Octagon.
Alamy

Speaking via an interpreter, he continued: “He basically owns all the Sanda awards, especially the 2008 Sanda exhibition fight. So the media has been broadcasting our fight in China because it’s very big in China, me vs. Muslim.”

The fight ultimately came to an end in the second round, after which Jingliang said it was a 'pleasure' to have gone up against the Russian.

Advert

“I know him since I first trained in 2008. It was my pleasure to fight him. I couldn’t believe it," he said.

Jingliang currently ranks at #14 in the UFC welterweight ranking.

Featured Image Credit: @fnm_fc/Twitter

Topics: Sport, UFC

Emily Brown
Emily Brown

Emily Brown is the Community Desk Lead at LADbible Group. Emily first began delivering news when she was just 11 years old - with a paper route. She went on to graduate with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University before contributing to The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and Student Problems. She joined UNILAD in 2018 to cover breaking news, trending stories and longer form features, and now works as Community Desk Lead to commission and write human interest stories from across the globe.

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • Paddy Pimblett reveals huge weight gain after UFC win and admits he's 'heaviest he's ever been'
  • Man who pulled Raja Jackson off wrestler in brutal incident reveals he was 'choking on his own blood'
  • Tom Jones leaves audience in tatters as he explains controversial ban of iconic hit Delilah
  • Former UFC star Ben Askren gives health update after ‘dying four times’

Choose your content:

a day ago
2 days ago
3 days ago
  • Jun Sato/WireImageJun Sato/WireImage
    a day ago

    Rampage Jackson hits out at racists after son Raja leaves Syko Stu in critical care

    The former UFC champ called out the hate he's been receiving since his son's violent attack on wrestler Syko Stu

    News
  • GoFundMe/Contessa PattersonGoFundMe/Contessa Patterson
    a day ago

    Syko Stu's wife hits out at 'unscripted assault' by Raja Jackson as fundraiser launched

    The wrestler and US Army veteran's wife has called out the vicious attack on a GoFundMe page set up to help cover his recovery expenses

    News
  • KickKick
    2 days ago

    WWE legend says wrestler attacked by Raja Jackson 'deserves some blame' for incident

    Mark Henry has claimed that Syko Stu needs to take some blame for being punched in the head repeatedly

    News
  • KickKick
    3 days ago

    Man who pulled Raja Jackson off wrestler in brutal incident reveals he was 'choking on his own blood'

    Wrestler The Epic shared what it was like to see Jackson's brutal attack up close

    News