Advert

Season 3 Of The Punisher Might Still Happen According To Jon Bernthal

Published 

Season 3 Of The Punisher Might Still Happen According To Jon Bernthal

After Netflix cancelled The Punisher, fans were up in arms but it seems not everyone has lost hope - namely lead actor Jon Bernthal.

The 44-year-old who portrays Frank Castle is still holding on to the possibility that Season 3 could still go ahead.

Credit: Marvel Television
Credit: Marvel Television

Like most, he understands that the chapter of Marvel on Netflix has come to a close, but that doesn't mean he can't reprise his role for any other streaming service.

Advert

Speaking to Comicbook, he said: "It's unbelievably humbling how much people sort of responded to this version of Frank, and I can't tell you how much it means to me because he means so much to me. He's in my blood, he's in my bones.

"So it's not about whether we do it, it's about getting it right, and doing the version that the fans really deserve. We'll see. I mean, all of those decisions are made in rooms I am not invited into... But Frank's always there, he's always a part of me.

"And when we get the call to go, I'll be ready, and I'll make sure that I do everything I can to make sure that we do it right, or we won't do it at all."

Jon Bernthal attending Marvel's The Punisher premiere on November 6, 2017. Credit: PA
Jon Bernthal attending Marvel's The Punisher premiere on November 6, 2017. Credit: PA
Advert

Speaking back in August 2019 Royce Johnson - who plays MCU's Detective Brett Mahoney in Daredevil and The Punisher - said rumours had been circulating claiming the superhero giant has a deal with Netflix and has to wait more than a year until characters from cancelled shows can return to the screen.

He said: "I mean, talking to [Marvel TV president] Jeph Loeb, I read that the memo had said, 'To be continued'. There is a clause that I heard through rumour that we have to wait 18 months, up to two years."

But Johnson isn't the first Marvel actor to claim there is a special agreement with Netflix.

Co-star Amy Rutberg had previously told Inverse: "There is this very real contract with Netflix. I had heard 18 months, maybe it's two years. I suppose it's possible that Marvel could buy them out, but I have not heard so much as a whisper."

Advert
Royce Johnson in The Punisher and Amy Rutberg in Daredevil. Credit: Netflix/Marvel
Royce Johnson in The Punisher and Amy Rutberg in Daredevil. Credit: Netflix/Marvel

News that the hit series wouldn't be coming back for a third outing was confirmed early last year.

And according to Johnson, it was all down to Netflix, who decided not to continue with the character.

He added: "I mean, we couldn't be more thankful with the crew we had, but it wasn't a Marvel issue. Apparently, it was Netflix that said, 'We're not moving forward.' For whatever reason. I mean, I know these shows are costly with the CGI, and stunt guys, and special effects, and stuff.

Advert

"And that costs money, and maybe Netflix felt that they weren't gonna profit from it, and then this whole purge started, you know?"

Featured Image Credit: Marvel Television

Topics: Entertainment, TV and Film, The Punisher

Rebecca Shepherd
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Insulate Britain Protester Glues Head To Road During Demonstration

26 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Police Unable To Arrest Insulate Britain Protestors After They Glue Themselves To Ground

3 hours ago