Man Complaining Of 'Extreme' Farts Gets 18 Metre Long Tapeworm Removed From Bum
Doctors have been shocked to remove an 18 metre tapeworm from a man's bum after he eat raw beef.
The 67-year-old patient rocked up to hospital in Thailand and told physicians he was experiencing extreme stomach pains and flatulence.
He gave them a stool sample, which was then sent to a team at the Parasitic Disease Research Centre, in the Nakhon Ratchasima province.
They were able to quickly diagnose him with a tapeworm after the sample was found to have 28 eggs. They gave him deworming medication that would kill the parasite overnight.
The next day, the bloke literally oozed it out of his rectum and medics couldn't believe how long it was.
While it came out in pieces, they laid the whole tapeworm out on a red mat and were able to measure it at a whopping 18 metres (59 feet).
A spokesman for the Parasitic Disease Research Centre said: "A Taenia saginata bovine tapeworm more than 18 metres long was obtained from a patient whose sample was sent to the centre.
"He was given the deworming medication before bedtime and in the morning this long worm came out of his bottom.
"It was very big and took us a while to lay it all out on the ground."
Doctors warned him of the dangers of eating raw beef and pork, as the uncooked meat can be a breeding ground for these sorts of parasites.
Dr Schawanya Rattanapitoon, who led the team, said: "Transmission is caused by eating raw beef. These parasites can live in humans for more than 30 years.
"However, currently, they do not survive very long because better medication is available. But this tapeworm was very long.
"According to past information, it is the longest that has been seen in Thailand for 50 years.
"We have suggested that the patient's family also have medical tests to find out whether they had parasites as they are also at risk.
"We warned them not to continue consuming raw meat as that is one of the main causes of having parasites in the body."
Tapeworms can live in a person's body for up to 30 years without them knowing anything was amiss, which is an absolutely terrifying thought.
The CDC said: "People with [a tapeworm parasitic infection] may not know they have a tapeworm infection because symptoms are usually mild or nonexistent.
"T. solium tapeworm infections can lead to cysticercosis, which is a disease that can cause seizures, so it is important seek treatment."