The sky in Chile turned red as wildfires, which are believed to have been deliberately started, have torn through the country.
Residents have been forced to leave their homes as the fires spread, with authorities saying at least ten hours in the Valparaiso region have been engulfed by flames.
Officials told around 25,000 people to evacuate their homes yesterday (Friday 15 January) as hundreds of firefighters were sent out to try and tackle the blaze.
Those who were told to leave have been told they must not return until they are told it is safe to do so.
Police, firefighters, army and emergency services were deployed in the area in an attempt to contain the flames and help in evacuation efforts.
A helicopter carrying tons of water has been sent out to try and help extinguish the flames from above.
Shocking images show the skies turning red as the blaze continues.
The National Emergency Office (Onemi) has declared a Red Alert - the highest level - for the regions of Valparaíso and Quilpué, and announced the fire has already burned more than 400 hectares
Thankfully, no deaths or injuries have been reported yet.
President Sebastian Pinera tweeted to say authorities believed 'the origin of this fire was intentional' and said a criminal investigation had been launched.
He went on to thank the armed forces and firefighters for springing into action, before adding: "The government has been in action and I want to tell the victims: we are not going to leave you alone.
"That is the commitment we have and we are going to fulfil."
This is not the first-time devastating fires have torn through the area; in January 2017 at least 11 people died when huge wildfires burnt throughout Chile.
Valparaiso was also hit with fires on Christmas Day 2019, which left hundreds of homes destroyed.
It's thought the hot weather combined with strong winds helped spread the flames.
Featured Image Credit: PA
Topics: World News
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read