| Last updated
Dog owners have been issued a warning after a dog died of heat stroke in 21-degree temperatures after being taken out for a walk.
The dog, who has been described as 'fit and healthy' died in North West England during the recent spell of hot weather.
The RSPCA has warned that whilst the hot weather is great, we need to be mindful about pets who might suffer in the heat. They received 729 calls about animals who had been left in places that were dangerous to them, including cars between Monday and Thursday last week.
A spokesperson for the RSPCA's Altrincham branch, near Manchester, said: "This morning we have been informed that yesterday a local dog died of heat stroke after being taken on a walk at 9am when the temperature was 21 degrees.
"The dog was five years old and otherwise fit and healthy.
"Despite lots of warnings about the heat we still see dogs being walked to the shops, on the school run, or as soon as owners get in from work.
"We do understand the crucial nature of walking your dog, however please bear in mind that walking in high temperatures can cause serious and irreversible damage, and in some cases death."
The spokesperson continued: "Yesterday the high for the day was at 4pm but this is when most of the dogs we spotted were out and about.
"It does not matter if your dog is white, young, not a bull breed or 'used to the heat'. Please be mindful of their needs.
"In the meantime, please look out for signs of heat stroke."
A list of potential warning signs that your dog is overheating has also been released by the animal welfare charity.
These symptoms include panting excessively, having a dark tongue or gums, blood in their vomit, suffering fits, and staggering.
They've said that if your dog is experiencing any of these problems then they should be given some water immediately and then taken to see a vet as soon as possible.
In worrying news, a recent study found that about 44 percent of motorists who own dogs have left their dog unattended in a hot car at some point.
Of that number, seven out of 10 people said that it was for an average of about eight minutes. That's more than enough time for the car to get up to a temperature that could be dangerous to the animals.
Look after your furry friends in this heat, people.
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read