Doctor Reveals How He Removed Gorilla Glue From Woman’s Hair
The doctor who removed Gorilla Glue from Tessica Brown's hair has revealed how he did it. Watch footage from the immediate aftermath of the procedure here:
Tessica went viral after she revealed she had put the heavy duty adhesive in her hair and was unable to get it out.
Initially, many people thought it was quite amusing and potentially even a prank. But it soon became apparent this was no laughing matter when the 40-year-old went to hospital, having been unable to get the product to budge for a month.
Mercifully, Dr Michael Obeng of MiKO Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills offered to remove it free of charge, and Tessica flew out from Louisiana for the procedure last week.
Explaining how he did it, Dr Obeng told LADbible: "Basically what we did was use a solvent that broke it down without causing any injuries to the scalp. And that's what we did and it was very successful, and Tessica is recovering safely.
"The procedure took about two-and-a-half hours. After that, the team came and put more conditioner in her hair for another hour, and eventually she was taken to the recovery room where she spent another hour and then left and went to her hotel."
And while Tessica had found it impossible to extricate the adhesive from her hair, Dr Obeng made light work of it.
More Like ThisMore Like This
He said: "It was very straightforward, it wasn't tricky, it wasn't difficult - once we figured out what chemical compound or what solvent can break down the glue. And I tried it on a mannequin with human hair and the hair extension stuck to it and was able to break it down.
"From that moment we knew we had a product that can safely dissolve the Gorilla Glue, and also at the same time not cause any injury to the scalp or the hair."
In time, Dr Obeng said Tessica's hair will be back to normal, and she was overcome with joy when the procedure was over and she had finally parted ways with the glue.
Dr Obeng said: "She had a grin on her face, tears of joy. She hugged me and thanked me and she was very, I would say remorseful, but you know she was relieved and she'll be more diligent when she's looking for things."
He added that he had never seen anything quite like it in his years as a plastic surgeon, but said it was an 'honest mistake'.
He said: "She's not the first person to suffer injuries from household chemicals, it happens all the time."
Dr Obeng did the $12,500 (£8,990) procedure free of charge and Tessica subsequently donated money she had raised on GoFundMe to the doc's non-profit reconstructive surgery organisation, Restore Worldwide.
Dr Obeng said: "We are very thankful to Tessica for her remarkable, heroic example."
Featured Image Credit: Backgrid
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read