Advert

Latest

Man Sells His PS5 After Wife Discovers It's Not An Air Purifier
published at30 minutes ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Three People Dead And One Permanently Blind After Drinking Hand Sanitiser In US

Three People Dead And One Permanently Blind After Drinking Hand Sanitiser In US

Three people have died and one has been permanently blinded from methanol poisoning after drinking hand sanitiser in New Mexico, US.

According to health officials, there are also a further three people that are currently in a critical condition in hospital after seven people in total drank the sanitiser which contained methanol.

The state's Department of Health said the cases were reported to the New Mexico Poison Control Center. The first came in on 7 May and then others in the weeks that followed. They relate to alcoholism, according to health officials.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA
Advert

Some alcoholics have been known to use hand sanitiser to get intoxicated due to the alcohol content in it.

New Mexico Health Secretary Kathy Kunkel said in a statement: "If you think you may have used or consumed hand sanitiser containing methanol, please seek medical care. An antidote to methanol poisoning is available, but the earlier someone gets treated for methanol poisoning the better the chance of recovery."

The tragic announcement came after the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned people to stop using nine hand sanitisers made by Mexican company Eskbiochem SA de CV because of the methanol levels.

More Like ThisMore Like This

1 of 6
News

Conspiracy Theory That Dead People Voted In US Election Has Been Debunked

Credit: PA
Credit: PA
Advert
News

Conspiracy Theory That Dead People Voted In US Election Has Been Debunked

published at12 days ago

The full list can be found here with the FDA stating that the use of these particular products is dangerous due to the presence of methanol (wood alcohol), a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested.

After testing samples of different sanitisers, the FDA found that one product contained 81 percent methanol and another had 28 percent. It explained: "Methanol is not an acceptable ingredient for hand sanitizers and should not be used due to its toxic effects."

The FDA went on to add: "Consumers who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should seek immediate treatment, which is critical for potential reversal of toxic effects of methanol poisoning.

"Substantial methanol exposure can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

Advert

"Although all persons using these products on their hands are at risk, young children who accidentally ingest these products and adolescents and adults who drink these products as an alcohol (ethanol) substitute, are most at risk for methanol poisoning."

Featured Image Credit: PA

Topics: News, US News, US

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Boris Johnson Says People Who Test Negative For Covid-19 Could Be Released From Tier 3 Restrictions
published at4 days ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Mysterious Monolith Similar To One Found In Utah Appears On Romanian Hillside

published at4 hours ago

Rebecca Shepherd

I'm Becky - a journalist at LADbible. I graduated with a First Class BA in Journalism before going on to cover criminal court cases, medical tribunals and breaking news for the national media - which inevitably and eventually became as glum as it sounds. Can often be found rocking a bag for life - which I made a 'thing' way before Rihanna. You can contact me at editorial@ladbible.com