Advert

Latest

Woman's Stomach Balloons 'Uncontrollably' Due To Mysterious Condition
published at2 hours ago
Advert
Advert

Most Popular

Advert
News

Woman Dies After Accidentally Using Wrong Type Of Oil To Cook Chips

Woman Dies After Accidentally Using Wrong Type Of Oil To Cook Chips

A woman died from inhaling poisonous smoke after accidentally using lubricating oil instead of cooking oil to make chips.

Carol Oldfield, 74, mistakenly used 3-In-One oil on her chips and turned on the hob at her home in Ripley, Derbyshire.

An inquest into her death was told she then went into another room and fell asleep for two hours - she awoke to find her house full of smoke, which she had inhaled, the Mirror reports.

Mrs Oldfield rang Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service on 6 March at around 7pm and told the call handler her house was filled with smoke and she couldn't find her way out.

Advert
Credit: Storyblocks
Credit: Storyblocks

Three fire engines arrived at the scene, alongside police and paramedics.

Mrs Oldfield was told to wait upstairs while the firefighters tackled the fire and ventilated downstairs to make it safe.

The firefighters then escorted Mrs Oldfield out of the property and she was taken to the hospital for checks.

Advert

According to the inquest, it at first seemed as though she had not suffered serious injury in the fire, but Dr Marco Giovannelli, a consultant at Royal Derby Hospital, said her condition badly deteriorated over the coming days.

More Like This

1 of 6
Home Cook Stunned After Discovering We've Been Using Peelers Wrong
News

Home Cook Stunned After Discovering We've Been Using Peelers Wrong

Over the next few days, Mrs Oldfield began to experience a cough and a sore throat.

Tragically, she was moved to end-of-life care on 16 March and died two days later.

An examination of her brain showed that Mrs Oldfield had early signs of dementia.

Advert

The oil Mrs Oldfield mistakenly used is designed to stop squeaks, clean and prevent rust - it's not suitable for cooking or eating.

Credit: PA
Credit: PA

Assistant coroner Emma Serrano, who led the inquest at Derby Coroner's Court, said: "Mrs Oldfield put 3-In-One oil on her chips, which is different from cooking oil.

"She turned on the hob and went into the front room and fell asleep. The room filled with white smoke, which she inhaled.

Advert

"She woke up and called the fire service who managed to get her out of the address but sadly the damage had already happened. She did not recover and sadly passed away."

Her cause of death was given as pneumonia and smoke inhalation. It was ruled as death by misadventure.

Featured Image Credit: Storyblocks

Topics: UK News

Claire Reid

Claire is a journalist at LADbible who, after dossing around for a few years, went to Liverpool John Moores University. She graduated with a degree in Journalism and a whole load of debt. When not writing words in exchange for money she is usually at home watching serial killer documentaries surrounded by cats. You can contact Claire at [email protected]