To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
A mum has claimed she discovered a 'creature's decapitated head' in a container of Asda baby food, which her one-year-old had already started eating.
Macala Large, 26, fed her son Arthur Smith an Asda Little Angels Organic Pasta with Chicken and Mushroom ready meal for dinner after a long day out.
However, as he finished the dish she noticed what she thought was a piece of dried mushroom at the bottom of the pot - only to realise it was what appeared to be a brown head with two bulbous 'eyes'.
Shop assistant Macala returned to Asda Norwich Superstore, where staff said the bizarre object would be sent away for investigation immediately as it looked like it was from 'an animal or creature'.
Macala claims the chain has failed to provide any answers in the two months since she reported the grim discovery on 14 September, sharing her story on Facebook - where it has garnered more than 1,000 comments, some speculating that it could be a fish, frog, snake, newt or lizard.
She said: "I was disgusted - so many things have gone through my mind - it made me feel sick thinking what it could be.
"I was lucky that I was feeding him that particular time as it was at the bottom and he ate the whole thing before I actually found it - he had about two mouthfuls left.
"It was hard so I thought it was a dried bit of mushroom - until we cleaned it and saw its eyes.
"I was poking it for a little while - I said what is this? My partner looked at it and said 'it's the head of something'.
"It looked like it had been broken up - my immediate thought was 'Omg has he eaten the rest without me realising?'"
Macala, of North Walsham, Norfolk, claims the food came in a plastic container with a seal lid, which was only removed as she served it, saying there was 'literally no way' anything could have slipped in at home.
She continued: "The staff thought it was disgusting and were really shocked - they couldn't believe that it was actually in baby food.
"The employee said that because it's actually in baby food, and it's not just a foreign object - it's an animal or creature of some description, that they get prioritised.
"They apologised and said how bad it was and that the sooner they get it sent off - the sooner they'll come back as to what it was.
"They took it off me so they can do an investigation - it was logged on a computer so they could send it away the same night and it would be received the next day."
Macala said she was 'disappointed' when a letter arrived in the post the next day informing her that they'd aim to let her know the outcome within 40 working days.
Saying she felt Asda wasn't 'taking it seriously', the concerned mum called the supermarket chain but was advised nothing could be done to 'speed it up'.
"After the letter they haven't got in contact with me whatsoever - I've been the one who's ringing them up and chasing them constantly," Macala said.
"I called them again and they said that they'll get somebody to call me back - they didn't have the decency to call me back, they just sent me an e-mail saying sorry we're still investigating we'll keep you updated.
"This has made me feel disappointed and sad - it's a massive supermarket and for them not to do something is disgusting.
"I've got so many questions - where's the rest of it? How did it get in there? Is it cross-contamination?"
An Asda spokesperson said: "We investigate complaints about our Little Angels products with the utmost importance, and whilst the process can take some time we hope that this reassures our customers that we are conducting an in-depth investigation.
"In cases like this, that process involves looking at the manufacturing process and where foreign objects could find their way into a product - from field to fork.
"We are very sorry for any distress this complaint has caused Macala but would reassure all our Little Angels customers that have not received any other complaints of this nature and we are continuing to investigate with our supplier."
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read