A man has died after his head became caught under an electric recliner chair at a Vue Cinema in Birmingham, the cinema has said.
The man, whose identity has not been released, was reported to have been attempting to retrieve his phone after dropping it between the Gold Class seats when his head became stuck underneath the footrest.
An investigation has now been launched by Environmental Health and Vue, the Metro reports.
According to witnesses, the footrest had been raised when he went to reach his phone, but it then went down and his head was trapped.
Birmingham Live reports that the man began to panic and suffered a cardiac arrest as his partner and Vue staff tried to free him.
Eventually, the footrest broke and the man was rushed into hospital - he died a week later on 16 March.
West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "Crews arrived on scene to find a man in cardiac arrest with bystanders having already commenced CPR.
"Ambulance staff took over and administered advanced life support, successfully managing to restart the man's heart.
"He was then transported to Heartlands Hospital for further treatment."
A statement released by Vue Cinema, reads: "Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.
"We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March. A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance."
Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council told the news outlet: "The City Council's Environmental Health team were notified of this incident and a Health and Safety investigation has begun.
"We are unable to comment further at this stage, as the investigation is ongoing."