To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Group of friends rescued from middle of ocean after giant whale sank boat as they ate pizza

Group of friends rescued from middle of ocean after giant whale sank boat as they ate pizza

The four friends were saved after encountering the giant marine creature as they chomped down on pizza

A group of friends found themselves in perhaps one of the most unlikely situations when they had to be rescued from the middle of the ocean after a giant whale crashed their pizza party.

Rick Rodriguez, 31, and three other friends were sailing to French Polynesia when the massive marine creature sank their colossal 44-feet ship.

The bizarre encounter took place just as the crew were chomping down on some pizza, with Rodriguez revealing he was 'dipping a slice into some ranch dressing' when the fateful crash occurred.

Usually, pizza pairs best with an ice-cold beer or even potato wedges if you're feeling indulgent, but, for this sailing crew, it's clear that whale should never be part of the equation.

The group of friends spent a whole 10 hours on a lifeboat and dinghy after the bizarre accident which took place earlier this month (13 March).

Rodriguez was nearly two weeks into a three-week and 3,500-mile crossing of the South Pacific when the whale crash occurred.

The ship, named Raindancer, ran into the huge whale as it sailed from the Galápagos Islands to French Polynesia.

Speaking to The Washington Post, Rodriguez recalled that he was simply minding his own business and tucking into some Italian scran when it all went south.

"The second pizza had just come out of the oven, and I was dipping a slice into some ranch dressing," he explained.

"The second pizza had just come out of the oven."

After the freak collision, Rodriguez added: "The back half of the boat lifted violently upward and to starboard."

Just moments after the crash, alarms rang out to warn the four friends that the boat was taking on dangerous amounts of water.

After sending out an emergency distress, the group gathered supplies and resources that would be able to last them around a week before clambering into a small lifeboat where they remained for several hours until they were rescued.

The saviours in question were from a nearby boat named Rolling Stones, captained by sailor Geoff Stone who had heard the distress signals.

Rodriguez has since stated how fortunate he feels after the whole fiasco.

"I feel very lucky, and grateful, that we were rescued so quickly."

"I feel very lucky, and grateful, that we were rescued so quickly. We were in the right place at the right time to go down."

Rodriguez has also taken to Instagram to share a statement about the situation just days after the crash.

He began his post by writing: "It’s been 4 days now and I still can’t believe she’s gone," talking about the beloved Raindancer ship that didn't survive the accident.

He told followers about the multiple injuries the boat endured: "Raindancer took her last breath about 15 minutes after she got hit."

Even though he has begun to 'mourn the loss' of his boat, the 32-year-old went onto say that he was 'proud' of how the crew handled the situation and thanked the 'good hearted Americans' who saved them.

Rodriguez was left with 'one last incredible story'.

"We were all smiles for making it out of that situation alive and rescued," he continued.

In a tribute to the sunken ship, he added: "She was my refuge, my rock, the one place I could be where I felt myself, she was my friend, I would give to her and she would give back memories, lessons, and stories. Things that are of high value to me.

"In the end, she was lost at sea, and left myself and the crew with one last incredible story."

And an incredibly story it sure was.

LADbible has reached out to Rick Rodriguez for comment.

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/@ricki_rod

Topics: World News, Weird, Food And Drink, Animals