Advert

Mum Who Mistook Fireworks For Popping Candy Left With Burns And Cracked Tooth

Published 

Mum Who Mistook Fireworks For Popping Candy Left With Burns And Cracked Tooth

A mum who mistook fireworks for popping candy was left with chemical burns and a cracked tooth.

Lisa Boothroyd, from Rugby, Warwickshire, said she found the box of Fun Snaps among the sweets and snacks at her local Costcutter.

But when she threw a handful in her mouth back at home she quickly realised they weren't confectionery, with the small fireworks - also known as snappers or poppers - exploding in her mouth.

Nothing fun about this snap. Credit: SWNS
Nothing fun about this snap. Credit: SWNS
Advert

The 48-year-old said: "That moment I crunched down was terrifying, I had no idea what was happening.

"I felt explosions in my mouth followed by a burning pain.

"I'm still in agony and nearly lost a tooth after it cracked from the explosion.

"The Fun Snaps were with all the other sweets, and the packaging was similar, so it was an easy mistake to make.

Advert

"I just keep thinking what could have happened if I'd given them to a child - they could've blown her mouth apart."

After spitting out the fireworks and swilling water, she called NHS Direct and was advised to seek medical attention.

She was subsequently prescribed strong painkillers following the incident last month, but said she couldn't sleep or eat properly afterwards - surviving on bread and mashed up Weetabix for more than a week.

The unemployed mum-of-one said: "I was still shaking and in shock the next day, and I was still in so much pain.

Advert

"I just can't believe how much damage those little snaps did to my mouth.

"Worst of all, they were amongst all the children's sweets - who knows what could have happened if a child had made the same mistake as me?"

Lisa was left in agony. Credit: SWNS
Lisa was left in agony. Credit: SWNS

Lisa's chemical burns are still healing and she is booked in for an appointment to repair the cracked tooth.

Advert

She said: "Although my injuries were horrible, I'm just relieved I didn't end up losing a tooth.

"I just hope nobody else makes the same mistake as me."

A spokesperson for Costcutter said: "The safety of shoppers is our main priority, so we were very concerned to hear about this incident.

"We have spoken to the independent retailer who operates this store under our Costcutter brand fascia and they have assured us they will remove this item from the confectionary section with immediate effect."

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Food, UK News

Jake Massey
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

News

Prince Philip Has Been Laid To Rest At St George's Chapel In Windsor

a day ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

News

Fans Feel 'Scammed' After Backstage Footage Emerges Of Ben Askren Following Jake Paul Fight

4 hours ago