Advert

Latest

an hour ago
Advert
2 hours ago
Advert

Most Popular

16 hours ago
Advert

This Is The Damage Six Cans Of Energy Drink A Day Can Do To Your Teeth

This Is The Damage Six Cans Of Energy Drink A Day Can Do To Your Teeth

A man is blaming Monster Energy drinks for causing his front four teeth to snap after he was hooked on drinking six cans each and every day.

I know, right? Six cans per day! Quick question - what did he expect?

Advert

Vinnie Pyner, 21, got hooked on the cans to help him stay awake for his college studies but soon he was knocking them back at breakfast, lunch and dinner - and was eventually drinking six every day.

He claims he brushed his teeth twice a day but started getting toothache. Eventually he bit into an apple, prompting his front four teeth to snap.

After guzzling around 45 cans a week for seven months he went cold turkey - but was too embarrassed to go back to college.

His dentist discovered every tooth in his mouth had rotted, he claims, and Vinnie is now set to get 24 fillings as well as dentures for his front gnashers.

Advert
Vinnie Pyner with mum Tara. Credit: SWNS
Vinnie Pyner with mum Tara. Credit: SWNS

The mortified youngster, who hails from Margate, Kent, is speaking out to warn others about excessive energy drink consumption.

He said: "It started as a way to relieve the stress and pressure from my college course because you have to be focused when it comes to computing and coding.

"But I never thought that it would get this bad, it's affected my confidence dramatically. I had an ambition to become a games designer but now my hopes have been dashed.

"The dentist was extremely shocked to see my teeth and she said that it was one of the worst cases of tooth decay and damage that she had ever seen. Looking at my teeth, I realised what I had done, I was in a complete mess.

Vinnie Pyner started drinking Monster to keep him more alert during college. Credit: SWNS
Vinnie Pyner started drinking Monster to keep him more alert during college. Credit: SWNS

"I couldn't attend college like this so I had to leave because I couldn't bear the embarrassment. I am not sure what the future holds but I hope that I can get back on my feet. Monster Energy has completely ruined my life."

Vinnie says he started drinking Monster Energy shortly before starting his second-year studying BTEC Computing and Coding at East Kent College, in September 2017.

He said: "It started with three a day at breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I could stay focused during my studies. I often felt tired and needed the energy drinks desperately."

Several weeks into the new term in October 2017, Vinnie started buying multi-packs, which increased his intake and dependence.

Vinnie said: "It was value for money and much cheaper than to buy individual cans. But the temptation of having a pack of four and wanting to drink them all at once got hold of me through the caffeine within them.

Vinnie undergoing dental surgery. Credit: SWNS
Vinnie undergoing dental surgery. Credit: SWNS

"It was like I had to fuel this addiction regularly and if I didn't I would suffer from caffeine withdrawal symptoms such as severe headaches and muscle pain."

At this point, Vinnie's mum Tara starting raising concerns. The 46-year-old mum-of-one said: "I started seeing him coming home regularly with multi-packs, which were the early signs of addiction.

"I noticed the habit getting worse and worse as his bedroom bins were always full of the cans. But I never thought that it would get this bad."

By Christmas 2017, Vinnie's addiction started to take control and he started having another two cans in-between college classes, taking his total to six per day. As a result, he started suffering from tooth pain every time he ate.

Vinnie said: "Every time I bit down on an item of food it was very painful so it was always a nightmare every time I had something to eat. I was starting to realise that this point that my addiction to Monster drinks was getting much worse.

"I never thought to tell anyone, I just coped with the pain."

Vinnie bought multi-packs to save money but says that the temptation became too much. Credit: SWNS
Vinnie bought multi-packs to save money but says that the temptation became too much. Credit: SWNS

In March 2018 he heard a cracking sound after biting down on an apple. Vinnie said: "I didn't think much about it until I swallowed something hard before realising that my upper four teeth had broken off.

"I was shocked and at the same time very worried, the damage looked absolutely awful. I couldn't tell my mum because it was so worried about what she might have said and extremely embarrassed about what she had said.

"So I trying not opening my mouth too wide when I was near mum."

But mum Tara got suspicious after several days and asked him to show her his teeth. She explained: "It was absolutely shocking. His upper four incisor teeth had completely fallen off and you could see his gum line, it was horrible.

"Incisors are often the first adult teeth that grow and make up most of our smile, so his smile was completely ruined. At that point, I realised the damage that the Monster Energy drinks had been doing to him, it wasn't very pleasant at all.

"As a mum, it was very hard to take in because, for the last seven months, this addiction had taken control of his life."

Once Vinnie's mum had seen the damage, he had immediate dental work. Credit: SWNS
Once Vinnie's mum had seen the damage, he had immediate dental work. Credit: SWNS
Advert

Vinnie then immediately sought dental treatment. Dentists found that all of Vinnie's teeth had rotted and he was told that he would have to have 24 fillings and a pair of dentures fitted for the front four teeth.

His confidence plummeted and he dropped out of college, so now spends all his time at home and rarely goes out at all. He added: "I can't do much at all, let alone think about my future.

"I can't apply for any jobs because interviewers will take one look at my teeth and say no straight away. The smile is the first thing you see in a job interview."

He started dental treatment in September and hopes to return to college and get a job soon. Speaking about energy drinks, he said: "Stay away from them, they are completely damaging and they could ruin your life."

LADbible has approached Monster Energy drinks for comment.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS

Topics: Teeth, dentist, Community

Rebecca Shepherd

I'm Becky - a journalist at LADbible. I graduated with a First Class BA in Journalism before going on to cover criminal court cases, medical tribunals and breaking news for the national media - which inevitably and eventually became as glum as it sounds. Can often be found rocking a bag for life - which I made a 'thing' way before Rihanna. You can contact me at [email protected]

 

Next Up

Former McDonald's Worker Gets Big Mac Tattooed On Her Arm

Former McDonald's Worker Gets Big Mac Tattooed On Her Arm

10 months ago