Owl Rescued After Two Days Trapped In Filthy Hotel Extractor Fan
Officer Leanne Honess-Heather turned up to check out the situation and attempt to free the owl.
She told Metro: "The hotel owner heard noises coming from the extractor fan but wasn't sure what it was. When she went to investigate she spotted a tawny owl sitting behind the fan. The bird seemed bright and alert despite being trapped.
"When I arrived at the disused hotel the owl, who had tried to push her way out, was then wedged tight between the fan blades in the extractor."
She continued: "We suspect the bird had fallen down the large extractor and then, when trying to get out, had got wedged in the fan. The fan was sticky and covered in grease which made it harder for the bird to free herself.
"Initially she was stuck at the top of the fan, upside down. But then, struggling, she worked her way to the bottom. Thankfully, the cover was easily removed and we were able to free her. She had no major injuries but she was dehydrated and covered in thick grease so needed a good bath."
More Like ThisMore Like This
A good bath is exactly what she got.
Now, the owl is recovering from her ordeal, and the hope is that she'll be safely released back into the wild once she is firing on all cylinders once again.
She was taken to Ryedale Rehab where medical treatment was administered, as well as a thorough clean and dry.
The staff had to take particular care to wash her feathers with washing up liquid to make sure that all the grease was off.
Leanne added: "The owl wasn't too impressed by bath time but, after towel drying her off and popping her in a warm cage to dry out, she looked and felt much better.
"She'll now stay at Ryedale Rehab until she's been given a clean bill of health and is ready to be released back to the wild where, hopefully, she'll stay away from any kitchens."
Featured Image Credit: RSPCA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read