Advert

Latest

14 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

7 hours ago
Advert

Woman Calls For Action After Puppy Dies 'From Fright Caused By Fireworks'

Woman Calls For Action After Puppy Dies 'From Fright Caused By Fireworks'

A dog owner has called for fireworks to be banned after her 18-week-old puppy died 'from fright caused by fireworks'.

Susan Paterson said that the terrier, called Molly, died in Wombley, South Yorkshire.

Advert
Molly (left) 'died from fright caused by fireworks'. Credit: Facebook/Susan Paterson
Molly (left) 'died from fright caused by fireworks'. Credit: Facebook/Susan Paterson

In a post on Facebook, she said: "Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.

"Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks.

"Molly may be gone but she will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts. We are still trying to make sense of what happened. Dreading the fireworks again tonight."

Ms Paterson also urged people to sign a petition calling for the general sale of fireworks to be banned. One such petition has already amassed more than 180,000 signatures, meaning parliament will now consider it for a debate.

Advert

The petition - which was set up by Elizabeth Jayne Harden - reads: "Every year more and more people, animals and wildlife get hurt by fireworks. It's time something was done to stop this. There are enough organised firework groups around for us to still enjoy fireworks safely so please help me stop the needless sale of them to the public!

"The noise from fireworks causes a great amount of fear, stress and anxiety in wild animals... Errant fireworks can also cause environmental damage though fires, and from the release of poisonous chemicals and particle-laden smoke, which is not just inhaled by wildlife, but contaminates the natural environment."

Molly was only 18 weeks old. Credit: Facebook/Susan Paterson
Molly was only 18 weeks old. Credit: Facebook/Susan Paterson

A spokesperson for Dogs Trust told LADbible it urges dog owners and the public as a whole to do their bit to minimise the distress suffered by dogs at this time of year.

They said: "Dogs have approximately four times more sensitive hearing than humans, so the loud cracks and bangs of fireworks can often be a terrifying and confusing experience for them. Fireworks tend to be sudden, unpredictable and bright. This combination can be distressing and have a lasting impact on dogs.

"There are lots of things dog owners can do to help make fireworks less stressful for their dogs. Simple steps such as providing safe spaces for them to hide or settling them before the fireworks start can make a big difference.

"We would also urge anyone thinking of putting on their own fireworks display to consider the welfare of their four-legged friends and others in the neighbourhood by following our Firework Dog Code."

Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Susan Paterson

Topics: Dog, uk news, Animals

Jake Massey

Jake Massey is a journalist at LADbible. He graduated from Newcastle University, where he learnt a bit about media and a lot about living without heating. After spending a few years in Australia and New Zealand, Jake secured a role at an obscure radio station in Norwich, inadvertently becoming a real-life Alan Partridge in the process. From there, Jake became a reporter at the Eastern Daily Press. Jake enjoys playing football, listening to music and writing about himself in the third person.

 

Next Up

Former Navy SEAL Goes Rogue And Says 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself' During Interview

Former Navy SEAL Goes Rogue And Says 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself' During Interview

10 days ago