Grandma of killed French teen begs for nationwide riots to stop
| Last updated
The grandma of the French teenager who was shot and killed by police pleads for the nationwide riots to stop.
As the riots continue, the grandmother of Nahel M, 17, who was fatally shot by police at a traffic stop, has begged for the violent protests to come to a halt.
CNN reported that the elderly woman, identified as Nadia, said in a telephone interview with French news broadcaster BFM TV: “I want it to stop everywhere.”
She continued: “Don’t break windows, buses … schools. We want to calm things down.”
“I’m tired,” she said adding that Nahel’s mother has lost everything.
"Nahel, he is dead. My daughter had only one child, and now she is lost, it's over, my daughter no longer has a life. And as for me, they made me lose my daughter and my grandson,” she said.
In a social media video posted last week, Nadia echoed a similar sentiment explaining that he doesn’t harbour bad feelings for all police, just the officers that killed her grandson.
“I trust in justice,” she said.
Meanwhile, security forces have deployed more than 45,000 officers across the nation.
Around 2,000 rioters have been detained so far, and according to Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin, many of those arrested are minors.
According to CNN, police issued a statement and revealed that 45 officers and gendarmes had been injured late Sunday night.
They added that 74 buildings, including 26 police and gendarmes stations, were damaged and 577 vehicles set on fire.
It comes as Mayor Vincent Jeanbrun’s house was raided and lit on fire as his wife and children slept inside.
The mayor, who belongs to the conservative Les Républicains party, said his family were the victims of an ‘assassination attempt’.
“My home was attacked and my family was the victim of an assassination attempt,” said the mayor of L'Hay-les-Roses in a tweet over the weekend.
“It was an assassination attempt of unspeakable cowardice,” he said.
His family were met with fireworks as they tried to escape while their house was set alight.
While trying to escape the attacks through the back garden, Jeanbrun’s wife and children were injured.
His wife has had to undergo surgery on a broken leg from the attack and now faces three months of rehabilitation.
As a result, an attempted murder investigation was launched, as per Euronews.
Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne issued a statement condemning the attack, assuring French politicians that the government would not allow 'any violence to go unchallenged' and 'the utmost firmness' would be applied in imposing penalties, according to the outlet.